As a small business owner I have a lot of stuff to do ALL THE TIME. I usually work a 50hr week on a huge range of different things that I have to fit into that time (Unfortunately only a very small part being my illustration and art).
I have to put my hand up and say i’m a naturally dis-organised person, which sucks when you run your own business.
But I’ve developed these simple, yet effective ways to get my butt into gear and get stuff done (yay!).
- Making lists. I know it seems so old lady, but every Sunday night I make a list of things I need to achieve throughout the week ahead. I assign them by priority and by how much time they need. Also by how much I want to do them. I try and do the things I like the least at the start of the week. So they actually get done, otherwise I get to Friday like ‘nah that can totally wait til next week’ and everything starts to get out of hand…
- I plan bigger projects in 3 monthly blocks. This keeps my day-to-day schedule in check and keeps me focused on the overarching goals.
- Setting aside certain days for specific jobs. I have 3 jobs that I know absolutely HAVE to get done each and every week.
A) Publishing stuff b) Business Financial stuff c) Illustrator Australia Stuff. So I set the same day aside each week for each task. For example I always spend Mondays on my Publishing stuff, Tuesdays morning’s for AI stuff and Tuesday Afternoon for my Financials.
- No Meetings before Wednesday. This way I make sure I do the things that absolutely HAVE to get done earlier in the week. As meetings are quite disruptive to my day.
- Dress as if I’m going to work. I work from home so it’s tempting to hang around in my PJ’s all day. If I get dressed if I was going to a smart casual office my mind gets into a work state easier.
- Wake up 7am every day. Again as I work from home I could easily sleep in, but making myself get up as if I were going to work makes my day more productive. I get a run in, have a good breakfast and hang out with my cockatiels before work starts at 9. Which means I’ve got my mind on work as soon as I’m at my desk.
Not every day’s the same and some days I’m not as focused as others, but if I have a plan and I fall off one day I can easily catch up and get back on the next.
I hope these tips help some of you guys! These tips can translate for school or uni too!
As a fellow dis-organised person, we can pretend to the outside world that we’ve got this shit sorted. Just don’t let them look at your lists 😛